If there is one thing that the editors, authors, and agents at our conferences agree on, it is the importance of critique group membership and manuscript peer reviews. Spouses, relatives and/or friends do not count. We make it painless to help you get your manuscript publishable.
Houston Writers Guild Critique Groups are free to members. Visitors are welcome on a one-time basis. After that, membership is required.
There are usually 5-8 people at our groups.
For more information, write us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
HWG Believes That Effective Critique Groups Embody:
- Shared Purpose
- Established Ground Rules
- Sharing of Challenges
- Differing Perspectives
- Caring About Work of Others
- Strong Leadership
As Critique Group Members, We Commit To:
- Giving Fearless Feedback Respectfully
- Not Forgetting To Include the Positive
- Being Tough on the Writing But Tender on the Person
- Listening and Not Speaking When Accepting Feedback
- Offering Constructive and Specific Feedback
- Focusing on the Big Issues Verbally
- Following Our Circle’s Rules/Standards
- Honesty and Trustworthiness
- Respecting the Time of Others
- Critiquing as Requested
- Consistent and Timely Participation
- Communicating Respectfully with the Person if Problems Arise
- Assuming Positive Intentions from All in Our Group